Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Favorite Things About the Economist

Anyone with an interest in economics, business, finance, politics, technology, war, current events... ok you get the point! Just about anyone with an interest in anything can find something that they like at The Economist. I wanted to share some of my favorite things from the Economist and how I consume the content.

  • The Daily Chart
    • I subscribe to this RSS feed in Google Reader. They post one interesting chart, map, or infographic every day. I will occasionally share a chart or two here on the blog.
  • The Economist App
    • I had been looking for an Economist app since I got my iPod touch a couple of years ago. It finally hit the app store last November. I can only imagine how useful the app must be on the iPad (sadly I do not own one). But given that it is free, I find it pretty useful to have on my iPod. (I still prefer reading on the computer if it is handy though). Having it on the iPod has been nice while travelling because I can preload several magazines worth of reading material onto my device, so even when I have no wifi reception I can read articles. I'll even listen to articles on long drives.
    • They say on the website that complete access is only free to print and digital subscribers, but I have complete access to all of the articles. I must have found a loophole. I used to be a print subscriber and still have a username and password, but I am not paying any sort of monthly fee.
    • They also have audio for each article if you prefer listening to reading
  •  The Magazine
    • Nothing can replace the experience of paging through the actual magazine. While I am not currently subscribing due to the high cost, if I can afford it in the future I will definitely indulge. It is only $2 to $3 per magazine depending on your plan, but magazines come out every week so it starts to add up.
    • There is also a student rate that is a little bit more affordable if you have a student email.
  • Economist.com
    • Even if you are not a subscriber, there is a ton of free material on the website. I always learn something new every time I visit.
  • The Global Perspective
    • As a US citizen, it is easy to focus on domestic issues only. I really enjoy the global perspective that the economist offers whether or not I agree or disagree with the conclusions. 
  • The Science & Technology Section
    • This might be my favorite section of the website. There are articles about cutting edge energy technologies, global warming, diseases, and scientific breakthroughs, all dumbed down enough for an economist to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment