Monday, April 4, 2011

A Life Changing Article

I was looking through some old emails the other day, and I came across an article from 2008 that I had filed away. That article is called The End by financial journalist Michael Lewis. If you have not read it, take the time right now. It is lengthy, but well worth the read.

Rereading Lewis's account of Wall Street reminded me why I chose not to go into finance and continues to make me question aspects of the industry today.  It also made me question my own motives and what type of life I wanted for myself. I never aspired to work on Wall Street, but I studied finance in college and seriously considered working in the finance industry outside of Wall Street. I am not suggesting that finance is evil. I do not regret studying it in college and think that it is great stuff to know as a consumer and business person. I am just acknowledging what greed and twisted incentives can do to people.

Image: Ji Lee @ Portfolio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment