Friday, October 21, 2011

MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Source: http://www.sloansportsconference.com
I just bought my ticket to the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston on March 2-3. Student tickets are $150 right now for a limited time period, and then they will go up to $175 after that. Non-student tickets will put you back $350 right now. If you can't make it, they also have some great content online from past years.

Once again, they have an all-star lineup of guest speakers including Bill Simmons (The Sports Guy), Eric Mangini, Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Cuban, Michael Wilbon, and many others.

My goals for the conference include learning more about sports analytics, finding out what career opportunities exist for economists who want to work in sports, and networking with people in the business and with other students like myself. I also hope to make some time to return to my stomping grounds at Boston University. If there is enough time after all of that, I'll squeeze in a blog post or two with updates and reflections.

This year should be especially interesting with the NBA season currently at risk and lots of discussion of the NCAA.

Update: There is a tentative NCAA panel that the SSAC is working on putting together.

Second Update: The Father of "Sabermetrics," Bill James, will be speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment