Thursday, February 10, 2011

Graduate School

I have been thinking a lot about graduate school lately. I've applied to a handful of schools and have several  others that I will apply to if necessary. I'm seeking a masters in economics. Right now, I'm playing the waiting game as schools process my applications materials and make the final judgment.

Greg Mankiw blogged recently about graduate education in the field of economics. He suggests an expansion of master of economics programs, and I completely agree. Tyler Cowen has also posted some crowd-sourced rankings for economics departments across the world. When reading economics rankings, I am always left thinking "What about the masters programs!?". There are no rankings out there for terminal masters degrees in economics, and it has been sufficiently frustrating.

Some Economists see a masters degree as the easy way out, and it may be for people who enroll in a Ph.D. program and dropout early. However, there are others (myself included) who would rather spend more time in the workforce earning income and think a masters degree will prepare them just as well as a Ph.D. to be successful in their endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment